I didn’t have any stem ginger for this particular recipe, so I just left it out and used extra ginger and cinnamon! Seems to have worked out OK though! I also forgot to put the baking powder in (only realised when they had been in for 20 minutes and were still very runny!!). I thought that I would try and put the baking powder at this stage so poured each cupcake case back into the bowl and mixed in the baking powder!
I naturally feared the worst, and put the cakes back in for 20 minutes. I was thrilled when they actually worked and tasted yummy!! Maybe there is something in this “double baked” malarky!!
This recipe is taken from the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook; another must-have!
For the cupcakes
120g plain flour
140g caster sugar
1½ tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
45g unsalted butter, at room temperature
120ml whole milk
¼ tsp vanilla extract
12 medium pink marshmallows
200g mini marshmallows
For the frosting:
1 quantity vanilla frosting
* Preheat the oven to 170°C / gas mark 3.
* Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined. Gradually pour in half the milk and beat until the milk is just incorporated.
* Whisk the egg, vanilla extract and remaining milk together in a separate bowl for a few seconds, then pour into the flour mixture and continue beating until just incorporated (scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula). Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth. Do not overmix.
* Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes, or until light golden and the sponge bounces back when touched. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean.
* Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
* Put the medium marshmallows in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Leave until melted and smooth.
* When the cupcakes are cold, hollow out a small section in the centre of each one and fill with a dollop of melted marshmallow. Leave to cool.
* Stir the mini marshmallows into the vanilla frosting by hand until evenly dispersed.
* Spoon the frosting on top of the cupcakes